Thursday, January 12, 2023

Homemade Noodles

 





Do you make homemade noodles? My Grandmothers did.  I remember, Grandma rolling these out paper thin and letting them dry on the counter then she would roll them cinnamon roll style and slice them with a knife.  Then she would lay them all out flat again to dry. Oh my, they were wonderful!! 

I too make homemade noodles, but to be honest, I have never gotten them rolled as thin as grandma's.  So, I have a wonderful cheat.  I use a pasta roller. 

My DH bought me the attachments for my Kitchen Aid Mixer - Which are wonderful!




And then one day out at the thrift store I found the below unit for $2.99!  Even though I had the above I couldn't pass up the hand crank pasta roller for under $3.00!  I can always use it in the camper, right!?  Ha ha ha!!


When we have pasta night both pasta rollers are in service.  We set up two different pasta stations and the kitchen is a hive of activity.  

Large pots of boiling salted water bubbling away, different types of sauces simmering, yum!!  That's pasta night.  

Grandma would make Beef and Noodles or Chicken and Noodles.  I don't think she ever made Spaghetti or fettuccini to my knowledge.  But I know she would enjoy pasta night too. 

Homemade Egg Noodles
2 cups flour (I use 1 1/2 cup AP flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour)
Salt 1/2 teaspoon or to taste.
2 or 3 eggs 
If the dough is to dry add a bit of water 
If the dough is to sticky add a bit of flour

I use semolina flour for dusting the dough and noodles, so they don't stick together.  You could use semolina flour instead of the whole wheat up to one cup.

Knead in your mixer or by hand to bring together into a smooth ball.  Wrap in plastic and allow to rest at least 20 minutes. 

Then roll the dough out thin or use a cheat like me and pull out your favorite pasta roller.  

Bon Appetite, 
a little bird

No comments:

Post a Comment

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...