This year our school went to a four day school week so many weekends are three days and this is one of them. I don’t know if I will ever be able to go back to a five day week. ;o)
Yesterday was kitchen fun, baked cookies, baked bread, ran grocery shopping and then worked on the family reunion planning for this summer. Today is ‘Spruce the Roost’ day.
I have always said a woman that works away from home has two full-time jobs. She works all day (or whatever shift) at her 'for pay’ job, then comes home to her real job. I think running a home is a job too, my favorite one!! You do laundry, cook, clean, help with homework when your kids are younger, and when they get older, you volunteer at school activities, drive them hither and yon, etc. Let’s face it women stay busy!!! I sound like I’m on a soap box... well maybe I am. :o)
Anyway today is spruce the roost day and it is due some sprucing.. .
My spruce routine, not deep cleaning, but spruce is:
Start the day with God, (this is really something to do everyday, take the time you will benefit from it, I promise) pray, read your Bible, listen to what it says, ponder, am I doing that, how can I improve, pray again, thank God for this new day and ask for his guidance.
- Bathroom - Shower, before you step out, wipe your shower down, now the sink, wipe the commode outside, comet and brush to the inside, wipe up your bathroom floor - cool the bathroom is now spruced.
- Bedroom - dress for the day, strip the bed, gather any dirty clothes and off to the laundry room.
- Laundry room - start the washer - you will come back through out the day to feed it as necessary.
- Kitchen - Craig does breakfast on the weekends - so wipe up counters, and enjoy breakfast with your honey. Okay now hot sudsy water in the sink. Wipe the surfaces down, counter tops, cabinet doors, microwave, stove top, fridge front, eek open the fridge and wipe shelves off and track any items that may be getting older... Sweep and damp mop. Wow, the kitchen looks great!
- Laundry Room - transfer to dryer, feed washer, straighten and swipe surfaces as needed.
- Run the duster, I have a long handled sheep wool duster which is super easy for high places (picture frames, corners) , grab the pledge and your dust cloth and go wild, swipe the desks, tables, shelves, etc...
- Vacuum - vacuum all the way through.
- Laundry again - your sheets are now fresh and dry, go make your bed fluff everything and your bedroom looks terrific!
- Now just do a walk through, are there spots that need some extra attention, have you stacked some recipes or articles that you want to read, now is the time! Go through and read them, toss when your done or if it is a recipe you want to keep, put it in your recipe box, don’t leave it on the counter. Wow your house looks clean, fresh, and spruced for any guests on Sunday.
Well now that I have written all this it’s time for me to get busy and follow my own advice. Have a great day as you spruce your roost too.