Friday, February 2, 2018

Homemade Whole Wheat Bread

Happy Ground Hog's Day.  How did this ever get started??  Anyway hope you had a great day.

My Daughter-in-love called they were headed out shopping and the girls said call Mimi she may want to  go too.  I did, we had a fun lunch out and shopping day. 

I had a few things on my list not many but bread was one of them... I love Dave's Killer Bread - but ouch the price, $4.62 a loaf.  Well I just choose not to pay that price.  I have a good whole wheat recipe and thought I can make good bread at home for a fraction of the cost!!

I buy my wheat berries in bulk a 45 lb bucket of wheat is 24.99 (Lehi Roller Milles is my very favorite) That's about 55 cents per pound.  One pound of wheat berries = apx. 4 1/2 cups of flour.  (That's one loaf of bread.) Add in the water, sugar, salt, yeast, and vital wheat gluten and that's maybe 75 cents (and I'm being generous here).  So $1.30 per loaf for wonderful healthy, freshly ground homemade bread.  I did add a handful of walnuts in just to add some extra yum.

You can knead this by hand, use your mixer or bread machine, knead for 10 minutes.  I also make a super easy artesian bread .  That we love so I guess sometimes I just have to be reminded why I like homemade bread.

Whole Wheat Nut Bread
3 cups wheat berries - grind fine and sift
1 3/4 water
3 T. sugar (or 1.5 T. honey)
2 T. dry milk
1.5 teaspoons salt
2 T. butter
4 T. vital wheat gluten
1 T. yeast
2/3 cup walnuts


Happy bread making to you!!  This makes wonderful bread for toast.

1 comment:

  1. I love baking bread. I am going to give this one a try...
    Blessings,Renee @ http://thesweetlittlebird.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...