Saturday, July 26, 2014

DIY Cough - Throat Drops

I have been meaning to do this for months.  Last fall we bought some herbal cough drops and they were very nice. (Swiss Alps yodeling man) I also have a friend that buys the essential oils cough drops they were wonderful but very pricey ($.60 per drop). Or at least  I thought that was a lot to pay for a cough drop.  So ever since then I thought certainly I could make these myself.   So today was the day.

The first thing I did was to steep some STRONG herbal tea.  I used chamomile, rose hips, peppermint, and orange rind.



After steeping I stained through a coffee filter because I wanted it completely clear.


Cough drop recipe:
1 cup of herbal tea
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon butter

Bring to a boil to a hard crack, 300 degrees
When your syrup is at 300 degrees remove it from the heat and let it cool just a bit. 

Then add  1.5 tablespoons lemon juice.
Be very careful - it splatters!

At this point these are very good herbal drops.  You can stop right here if you want to.
(Swiss Alps yodeling man type)

But I wanted to duplicate the pricey essential oil drops so I added some LorAnn's oil.
I used Anise, Spearmint, and Cloves.
I have to say these are wonderful!
I really do think they are every bit as good as the $$ drops.  


Since I haven't yet purchased molds I needed to make my own.  

Below is powdered sugar in a cookie sheet pressed firmly with a second pan.



I used the end of a whisk to make indentations in the sugar.  It was a good size for the drops.



When the drops were hard I sifted them out of my powdered sugar so it wasn't a waste of all this sugar.

These are the finished drops.
I think these are worth investing in some good silicone molds.  I think that would be a lot less work and clean up.  But I really wanted to try this before spending the money for the molds.


Store in an airtight container.

a little bird



1 comment:

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...