Monday, February 28, 2022

Lemon and Cumquats


 


This is my lovely lone lemon.
I was given this lemon tree a couple years ago. Last winter it bloomed. 
Since it was in the house for the winter, I used a soft paint brush to pollenate the blooms.
Three small lemons set on but this one made it through the full year to maturity.


My son asked me what I was going to do with my lemon. Good question.  What can you do with a lone lemon?  Use it all. 😉

And I am.
I squeezed the juice and got 50 ml, I sliced the exterior, and I smashed the remaining interior. I will dry the peel and the interior parts to be added to a dry herbal mix for a lovely lemon mint tea.
The juice will be used to make lemon curd.




Lemon Curd
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1-1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup butter

Whisk lemon juice, sugar, and eggs in a saucepan
add butter and cook over medium-low heat whisking continuously until mixture reaches 170 degrees.  Remove from heat and pour curd into a pint jar and refrigerate.
This will thicken a bit more as it cools.
This is such a lovely treat.

Lemon Curd is a fresh sweet addition to scones, toast, pound cake, etc.

If you have bottled lemon juice and would like to can some Lemon Curd for the pantry HERE is the recipe.



Below is the last of the cumquats to be harvested.  I love having some warm weather plants that produce a small harvest that our climate just doesn't allow.  I have the lemon and cumquat trees that go out in the summer to enjoy our beautiful summer climate and then in the fall when the temperatures start to drop too low for their tender sets, I bring them in to the family room to enjoy the warmth of our house.  This sweet little tree produced 20 or so fruits.  And we have all just eaten and enjoyed them as they have ripened.  The cumquat has very sweet peel and very tart interior.  They are natures true Sweet Tarts.  So yummy and the grands have all enjoyed them.  Only four left but what fun it has been to watch them mature and then to enjoy the harvest.



~a little bird

No comments:

Post a Comment

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...