Monday, January 31, 2022

Elderberry Syrup

 Smiling at myself....

I shared the recipe for cold and flu elixir in the post before.  Only to pull out the Elderberry Syrup that I make as needed in the fall.  It is very much the same. 😊 


Since I already have a quart of Elderberry Syrup, I won't need to make more syrup or elixir for a long time!!

Elderberry Syrup
1/2 cup Dried Elderberries
1/4 cup Dried Currents
1/4 cup Dried Rosehips
two sticks or 2 teaspoons dried Cinnamon
1 teaspoon whole Cloves 
2 tablespoons Dried Orange Peel
1 to 2 inches Ginger Root (sliced)
Cover with 2 cups water and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 20 minutes
Remove from heat and allow to cool - Strain
Measure strained liquid and add equal amount of brandy
Add 1 cup raw honey
By adding the brandy it makes it shelf stable. This will last for years.





This is not for young children.   It has both honey and brandy.
Honey should not be given to children under one (nor should brandy!)
Actually, I wouldn't give it to children at all, except with great caution.  
Years ago, our eldest son, who was about 15 had a terrible cold and wasn't able to rest so I made him a Hot Toddy.

It truly did help him rest so he could recover. 

Hot Toddy
Lemon juice 
Honey
1 tablespoon whiskey 
Boiling water 
Stir and allow to cool to drinking temperature 

I know this may sound like bad parenting but if you read the NyQuil bottle it also contains alcohol.
Hope these recipes are helpful if you too want to have a small home apothecary.  

~a little bird

1 comment:

  1. This recipe has different ingredients than what I've used (mine has a lot of ginger in it). This sound great.

    ReplyDelete

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...