Sunday, January 30, 2022

Fresh Sauerkraut

Before it's all gone.... I thought I'd share some pictures of my fresh sauerkraut.



(As you can see, I've eaten half a jar already)

I had some green and red cabbage.  I sliced them thinly, salted, and brined them and this is the beautiful result.  


1.5 - 2 teaspoons salt per 1 pound cabbage
if you need more brine:
1.5 tablespoons of salt per quart of water.

You want to make sure all of your cabbage is under the brine. One of my Christmas gifts this year were these fermenting pucks. 
I let it set on my counter for a couple weeks, covered with a towel, until it was at the flavor I wanted.
Then I moved it to the cool to stop the fermenting process.  Now I'm just enjoying a bit of it each day.
Fresh sauerkraut has the probiotics that are good for our gut health as well as our immune system.  It is high in vitamin C also.



From Living Strong: "The researchers tested 2-tablespoon, 1/2-cup and 1-cup servings of sauerkraut and found that the smallest 2-tablespoon serving of sauerkraut contained 1 million colony-forming units (or CFUs), which was enough to give you all the probiotics that you need for the day."


No comments:

Post a Comment

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...