Saturday, January 22, 2022

Preserving in the Deep Winter

 


What does a 'Preserver' do in the deep winter?  

If you have been to the grocery store lately you too have noticed the price increases on many items.

I was at my local store last week picking up a few things and looked at hamburger - oh dear - It was pretty pricy to say the least.  The price of a sirloin tip roast was 50 cents cheaper per pound than the highest fat ratio hamburger.  I went for the roast.  

Have you ever canned meat?  It makes a wonderful product!  HERE are the directions on home canning meat. Now granted I can't make a hamburger patty out of this, but I can use this beautiful product for soups, stews, casseroles, tacos, enchiladas, BBQ beef sandwiches, anywhere I would use ground beef (other than a patty) I can use this canned beef.  It is so nice to have this for a very quick meal.  

Another thing I like to preserve in the deep winter are beans (directions HERE page 4-5and 4-6).  I do beans in quart jars so I can add them to chili or taco soup.

Both meat and beans are low acid and require pressure canning.  The directions explain the process to follow.


Canned Beef

I use the raw pack method - it is so EASY!!!  Yes, I realize the jars don't look as beautiful as home canned peaches or pears but if you could see through the metal cans at the grocery store of canned beef this is what you'd see. 😊


~ a little bird





No comments:

Post a Comment

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...