Saturday, January 29, 2022

Home Apothecary

 


The Home Apothecary - what is it??


For years mothers, grandmothers, and aunts had home apothecaries.  They were the ones that grew the herbs and prepared them for the time of need.  

Growing and using herbs is a back-to-basics pursuit that can keep money in your pocket.  Do I believe in Doctors, YES!!  Of Course!!!  But if I can do something at home to help my body heal so I don't need to go in all the better.

Aloe vera - some people call it the burn plant. - the clear mucilaginous gel from the center of the leaf has anti-inflammatory and healing properties.

Arnica - This has long been used for sprains and bruises.  After surgery my DH had serious bruising.  The Nurse Practitioner recommended Arnica.  Our pharmacist looked it up for me and there are studies proving the positive results.  So, I ordered some and was amazed at the quick recovery from the bruising.

Calendula - anti-inflammatory properties and aids in the healing of wounds, cuts and burns.

Chamomile - has a mild sedative effect on the nervous system.

Comfrey - Traditionally, comfrey has been used as a topical application for bruises, fractures and wounds. 

Echinacea, Elder, Eucalyptus, Ginger, Lavendar, Lemon Balm, Meadowsweet, Mint, Rose Hip, Yarrow, and the list goes on and on.  You get the idea.  There are many herbs out there that can be beneficial.  

Having an herb book can be very helpful.  It's important to use them as recommended.  You could also make yourself ill if not following the directions.


Personally, I make a chamomile tincture, calendula oil, dry rose hips for tea if we are warding off sniffles, dry oregano for tea as it has anti-virial properties and helps with a sore throat. I make elderberry syrup for congestion relief.  Dried white yarrow can be made into a tea to help reduce a fever.  Some of these items I grow, some I order online but, I do have a small 'Home Apothecary'.  

I of course do still buy over-the-counter medicine too.  But if I can grow something at home that is helpful to my family, I like to do that as well. 





I have and use, The Complete Illustrated Book of Herbs, by Reader's Digest.  My DH has many wildflower books which give uses for many of the flowers that grow in the wild.

Just an fyi: Many medicines we use today are derivatives of herbal treatments.

During WW2 the German occupation of Europe interfered with drug shipments, therefore there was a critical shortage of medicines in British homes.  The Ministry of Health established and published guides for herb collection, how to dry, and bundle, to be sent in for production of medicine.

~a little bird


No comments:

Post a Comment

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...